Bettersizer S3 Plus - ISO-compliant particle size and shape analysis in one instrument
With its unique and innovative design, the Bettersizer S3 Plus combines the measurement methods of laser diffraction and dynamic image analysis in one instrument and thus offers comprehensive particle size and shape analysis from the nano to the millimetre range.
Using patented double-lens technology (DLOI system), even nano-particles (from 10 nm) can be reliably characterized: based on a classical Fourier arrangement of the optical bench, an additional lens between the laser and the measuring cell enables the detection of the backscattered light. The use of only one laser provides a continuous scattering spectrum with a consistent wavelength; and the oblique incidence of light allows detection in the continuous angular range up to 165°. In this way, particle size distributions can be determined with high resolution over the entire measuring range of 0.01 – 3,500 µm in accordance with ISO standard 13320.
Since the maximum scattered light intensity of large particles can only be detected at very small angles, underrepresented oversized particles cannot be analyzed with sufficient accuracy using classical laser diffraction. In contrast to other laser diffraction systems, the image analysis system of the Bettersizer S3 Plus enables the reliable detection of larger particles through the optional additional particle detection by means of a CCD high-speed camera and thus allows realistic and representative measurements up to 3.5 mm.
Thanks to the additional dynamic image analysis, more than 20 size and shape parameters – such as aspect ratio, circularity, different Feret diameters, elongation, convexity and many more – can be calculated from the images of the individual particles taken by two high-speed cameras with different magnifications.
The concentration-based determination of the refractive index based on the Mie theory and the Beer-Lambert law allows the characterization of materials even with unknown optical properties.
- particle size measuring range (sample-dependent): 0.01 – 3,500 µm (laser diffraction), 2 – 3,500 µm (image analysis)
- innovative double lens technology (DLOI system) with extremely wide detector angle range (0.02° – 165°) and detection in backscatter direction for reliable measurement of even very small particles (> 10 nm)
- integrated CCD camera (0.5x) for (optionally) higher accuracy regarding over-sized particles and the detection of coarse particles of up to 3.5 mm, compared to "pure" laser diffraction
- second integrated CCD camera (10x) for additional particle shape analysis from approx. 4 μm onwards.
- concentration-based determination of the refractive index of unknown materials
- single-laser technology and thus consistent laser wavelength (532 nm) for all evaluations
- short measurement time of less than 10 seconds
- standard operation procedures (SOP)
- automated dispersion and circulation system
- automatic alignment function of the optics before each measurement
- 600 ml standard bath volume for representative sampling
- optionally available, chemical resistant small volume dispersion unit
- expandable with autosampler BT-A60 (60 sample positions)
- easy operation and intuitive software interface
- export of results in multiple formats such as Excel, PDF, .txt, .jpg etc. with software flexibility to create result reports and archive measurement data
- compliant with ISO 13320 and ISO 13322-2 as well as with FDA requirements according to 21 CFR Part 11