Our goal is to further develop mathematics as a key technology, give innovative impetus and implement it in practice together with industry partners.
Not only large companies, but also more and more small and medium-sized enterprises use simulations in the most diverse areas and thus profit in terms of innovation and quality assurance of products and processes. The spectrum of the institute’s customers extends across all industries - from automotive and mechanical engineering to the textile industry, microelectronics, computer industry and finance. The basic modules of our projects are consulting, support in the application of high-performance computer technology and the deployment of tailor-made software solutions.
Applied mathematics as an engine for success
Computer simulations are an indispensable tool in the design and optimization of products and production processes, services, communication processes and work processes. Real models are replaced by virtual models. Mathematics plays a fundamental role in the creation of this virtual world. The transverse character of mathematics makes it a “generic technology”; as a basis for bridging into the simulation world, however, it also becomes the key technology for computer simulations which have found their way into nearly all areas of economic life.
Increasingly more small and medium-sized companies utilize simulation for cost reduction. It is specifically these companies that the Fraunhofer ITWM supports with consultation and computing power. They profit in the market through the use of simulation as identification for innovation and quality assurance of their products.
Along with the implementation of this technology in application projects and its further development in research projects, the close collaboration with the Department of Mathematics at the University of Kaiserslautern is also a point of emphasis of the Fraunhofer ITWM.
The classical disciplines of applied mathematics such as numerics, optimization, stochastics and statistics as well as differential equations are cornerstones.
The specific competencies of the ITWM are
- Processing of data acquired from experiments and observations
- Drafting of mathematical models
- Implementation of mathematical problem-solving in numerical algorithms
- Summarization of data, models and algorithms in
- simulation programs
- Optimization of solutions in interaction with the simulation
- Visualization of simulation runs in images and graphics
One of our research and development focuses is on flow problems of rheologically complex fluids and the analysis of physical, complex processes relevant for industrial applications.
Our competencies include the mathematical-physical modelling of material properties and industrial processes as well as the development of fast, robust and efficient numerical algorithms for computer simulations based on specific models.
The knowledge about the modeling of such processes and their effective numerical solution is summarized in the software platform CoRheoS (Complex Rheology Solver), which offers validated and documented pre- and post-processing as well as solutions for the software modules GRAIN and FLUID.
Granulates and their processing have a high economic importance and are at the same time an exciting field of research within the simulation of complex fluids.
The ITWM is member of the Fraunhofer ICT Group as well as associated member in the Fraunhofer Group for Materials and Components – MATERIALS. In addition, the good networking within the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft documents the participation in numerous Fraunhofer Alliances: Automobile Production, Battery, Big Data, Cloud Computing, Lightweight Design, Simulation, Textile, Traffic and Transportation, and Vision.
Fraunhofer-Institut für Techno- und Wirtschaftsmathematik ITWM offers you products from these product groups:
Basic proccessing technologies for powder and bulk material (479)
- Optical processing technologies for powder and bulk material (19)
- Other basic processing technologies for powder and bulk material (94)
- Size reduction (152)
- Mixing (202)
- Separating, screening, filtering (268)
- Agglomerating, granulating, briquetting, compacting (115)
- Drying of powder and bulk solids (169)
Plant engineering and processing components (445)
- Dosing (168)
- Emptying (170)
- Conveying, transport, storage (273)
- Pipe technologies (98)
- Packaging and filling (204)
Measurement, control, automation (245)
- Equipment at field level (147)
Particle analysis, process and laboratory instrumentation (103)
- Materials testing equipment (28)
- Powder flow properties measurement (22)
- Surface analysers (15)
- Online particle analysis (24)
- Particle shape analysis (19)
- Particle size analysis (40)
- Particle size distribution analysis (35)
- Particle distribution analysis (26)
- Porosimeters (8)
- Film thickness gauges (8)
- Nano particle technologies (50)
- QC, QA and QM (90)
- Services (247)
SectorThe products and/or services can be used in the following branches of industry.
- Manufacture of chemical raw materials (434)
- Manufacture of dyes and pigments (386)
- Manufacture of other inorganic raw materials and chemicals (320)
- Manufacture of other organic raw materials and chemicals (314)
- Manufacture of fertilisers and nitrogen compounds (338)
- Manufacture of pest control agents, pesticides and disinfecting agents (288)
- Manufacture of coating agents, inks and putties (249)
- Pharmaceutical (430)
- Pit + Quarry (311)
- Ceramics + Glass (308)
- Food + Feed (446)
- Engineering and plant construction & components (539)
- Recycling & Environment (257)
- Across all branches of industry (306)