Not only the conical dryer’s vessel wall and vessel cover are heatable but also the special spiral agitator. This ensures an optimal energy input into the product and also a uniform humidity and temperature distribution in the entire product area.
Your bulk material is effectively dried at temperatures up to 200°C and under vacuum. The resulting solvent vapors are extracted by a reversible flow dust filter. The speed of the spiral agitator, which is located in an overhung position in the cover, is infinitely adjustable. A top-mounted flow breaker creates additional turbulences in the product area and prevents the product from rotating with the agitator. An optional lump breaker with cutting blades avoids the forming of agglomerates.
An essential innovation of the CD-plant is the combined tilting and slewing mechanism. For cleaning and inspection purposes, the tilting device offers convenient opening of the entire vessel cover including the agitator.
Alternatively, this mechanism allows for the entire vessel to be inclined when the cover is closed. This has an extremely positive effect on the drying process. The inclination offers important advantages when mixing the entire product, as gravitation additionally affects the products to be dried. The slewing drive enables the entire vessel to be held between 0° and 45° at any position.
The conical dryer can optionally be equipped with a CIP mechanism and/or load cells. On request, IKA® will also deliver optional peripheral devices for the conical dryer, such as solid filling or packing systems, a heating/cooling aggregate, a vacuum system with solvent condensation, and a fully automatic control.
IKA®’s conical dryers are available in nine sizes ranging from 10 to 4,000 liters useful volume.
Advantages of IKA®’s Conical Dryer:
- Shorter drying times due to a heatable agitator and double-jacketed heatable vessel
- Vessel operation under vacuum and pressure up to 6 bar
- Admissible operating temperatures from -10 to +200°C
- A flow breaker with an integrated temperature sensor PT 100 prevents the medium from rotating with the agitator
- Overhung-mounted lump breaker for disintegration of agglomerates
- Gentle mixing of sensitive products with special spiral agitator
- Better mixing result by slewing of the entire mixing vessel
- Configuration of agitator and vessel wall prevents product accumulation on heat transfer surfaces
- Exposed shaft without product-touching bearings
- Various shaft seal systems available for all applications
- The stirrer speed can be infinitely adapted to meet product characteristics
- A simple tilting mechanism opens vessel cover for easy access to the vessel
- Complete emptying of the vessel via a spherical segment valve
- Vapor filter eliminates dust from the exhaust
- Complete system easy to clean – integrated spray nozzles cover the entire inner surface
- Easy to access because of equipment height
- Many equipment options available through one source
- The Conical Dryer CD is available as explosion-proof and GMP versions
- Reliable scale-up
Typical applications for IKA® Conical Dryer CD are:
- Vacuum drying of metal powders, other powders, pigments, salts, crystals, or fine chemicals under permanent mixing
- Suspension separation and thermal drying
- Production of tea mixtures, coffee powder products, powdered soups and sauces and baby food
- Separation of active ingredients and solvents for the production of pharmaceuticals